Gr18 Sir Thomas Gresley

    Sir Thomas Gresley was the son of Sir Nicholas Gresley (Gr19) and Thomasine de Wasterneys (Wa19)
    Born: 1332
    Died: Greeley, Derby
    Married: Margaret Walsh in 1391, dau of Walse, Lord of Anlep.
    and had issue: 

    Gr17-1 Sir John Gresley, m Margaret Norwood
    Gr17-2 Joan De Gresley
    Gr17-3 Innocentia Gresley
    Gr17 Margaret Gresley
    Gr17-5 Geoffrey Gresley 

    The Thomas Gresley at the Battle of Bosworth Field may have been a great grandson. A Thomas Gresley was knighted after the Battle of Stoke 16 June 1487.

    The early Gresley lines
    The author's collateral Gresley lines


    Data from:
    Nigel of Stafford Holdings in Derbyshire in 1086
    Nigel of Stafford,   was of the notable Norman Tosny  (Toeni) family. Nigel de Toeny or Tosny, who adopted the name Stafford, was younger brother of Robert de Stafford, hereditary Standard Bearer of Normandy. Robert became castellan of the newly built Stafford Castle. Nigel's chief domain became Gresley Castle and from him was descended the Gresley family sometines spelt Greeley or Greely, a name with whom some might be familiar: "Go west, young man! propagated the famous New York journalist, Horace Greeley, in the mid 1800's ushering in the virtually explosive settlement of the territory west of the Mississippi.


    CHURCH-GRESLEY - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
    [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
    "CHURCH-GRESLEY, a parish in the hundred of Repton and Gresley, in the county of Derby, 4 miles S.E. of Burton-on-Trent, 4 from Ashby-de-la-Zouch, and 6 from Derby. It is a station on the Midland railway. This parish, which is rapidly increasing, includes the townships of Drakelowe, Church-Gresley, Castle-Gresley, and Linton. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £190, in the patronage of the Rev. George Lloyd. There is also a district church at Swadlincote, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value* £80, in the patronage of the Incumbent of Gresley. The church at Gresley is dedicated to SS. Mary and George, and contains monuments of the Gresley and Alien families. It was erected by Nigel de Gresley in the reign of Henry I., who founded likewise a priory of Austin monks, all traces of which have disappeared. The Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists have each a place of worship, and there are National schools for both sexes. The collieries and potteries employ a great part of the inhabitants. Sir Thomas Gresley, Bart., is lord of the manor."
    "CASTLE GRESLEY, a hamlet parish in the parish of Church Gresley, hundred of Repton and Gresley, in the county of Derby, 4 miles to the S.E. of Burton-on-Trent. Gresley is a station on the Burton, Ashby, and Leicester branch of the Midland railway."

    [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)