sunny Sarasotato rent by the week or month
e-mail, German, French and Spanish also spoken, airport pick-up in Tampa or Sarasota on request.
List of pedigreesBland of Northern Neck Va.
Nicholas of Roundway
Hester of Fleming Co Ky
Author's DNA match comparisons
It is really something to sing and dance about.
Dig up those old bones and get them dancing!
Find your roots!
Get DNA tested too!
|Bo20. Sir William de Bonvile or Bonville of Shute, Sheriff of Somerset and Dorset d 1408||
|Bo19||John de Bonville dvp
m Elizabeth, lady of Chewton dau of John FitzRoger of Chewton
|Bo18||Sir William Bonville of Chewton of Shute, 1st Lord of
Chewton b 30.08.1393, d 18.02.1460/1
m1 Margaret Grey a 05.1426, BE1883 reports that Margaret was Margaret Meriet but TCP suggests that such reports are probably mistaken yet does not identify her other than as Margaret. She is identified as a Grey of Ruthyn by various web sites.
|+1 Reginald de Grey, 3rd Lord of Ruthyn|
|Bo17||William Bonville dvp Wakefield 31.12.1460|
|m by 1442 dau of William Harrington, 5th Lord|
|Bo16||William Bonville, 'Lord Harrington' d Wakefield 31.12.1460
m Katherine Nevill dau of Richard Nevill, Earl of Salisbury
|Bo15||Cecily Bonville b c1461, d before 02.06.1530
m1 before 04.1475 Sir Thomas Grey, 1st Marquess of Dorset d 10.04.1501
m2 Henry Stafford, Earl of Wiltshire dsp 06.03.1523
|Bo17-2||Margaret Bonville assumed to be
of this marriage
m Sir William Courtenay of Powderham Castle, Sheriff of Devon d 1485
|Bo17-3||Philippa Bonville assumed to be
of this marriage, possibly a generation earlier ?
m William Granville of Stow d c1450
|Bo17-4||Elizabeth Bonville d 14.02.1490/1 probably
of this generation
m Sir William Tailboys of Kyme b c1415, d c26.05.1464
|m2 before 10.1427 Elizabeth Courtenay dsp 18.10.1471, dau of Edward Courtenay, 3rd Earl of Devon|
|p. Isabella Kirkeby name kindly brought to our attention by a site visitor FR, 12.09.07|
|The following comes from Visitation Cornwall, 1620, Rous which reports that a "base son of Will'm Lord Bonvile" was ...|
|Bo17-5||John Bonvile possibly of this generation|
|m Nicholas Kirkham of Marsh son of Nicholas of Blackdoune by Johanna, dau of John Wrey of Marsh|
|m John Barnhouse of Marsh, son of Edward Barnhouse of Kingston by Johanna, dau of John Brightrixton/?by Jane, dau of John Pope of Canton|
|A||Nicholas Barnhouse dsp|
m Thomas Southcott
|Bo18-2.||John Bonvile probably of this generation|
|m Joane Wibbery dau of John Wibbery by Leva, dau of John de Gorges|
|i.||Anne Bonvile heir|
|m Philip Coplestone of Coplestone|
|Bo19.||Elizabeth Bonville probably of this generation|
|m Thomas or John Carew of Carew and Mulsford d 1431|
|There is a possibility of a connection between this family and that shown in Bermingham1.|
|Peter de Bermingham a 1165|
|1.||William de Bermingham d Evesham 04.08.1265|
|m Isabel de Astley dau of Sir Thomas de Astley|
|A.||William de Bermingham a 1295|
|i.||William de Bermingham the first mentioned by TCP Bermingham|
|a.||William de Bermingham, Baron a 1327|
|1||Fulk de Bermingham a 1360|
|A||Sir John de Bermingham dsp before 1393|
|m before 03.07.1356 Elizabeth de la Plaunche b c1347, dsp after 01.09.1423, dau of William de la Plaunche of Haversham by Elizabeth, dau of Sir Roger Hillary of Bescot|
|B||Sir Thomas de Bermingham|
|TCP shows Sir Thomas's wife just as Isabel Whitacre. But 'A History of the County of Warwick' Vol 4, 1947 identifies her as ...|
|m Isabel Whitacre dau of John de Whitacre by Amice, dau of Sir Robert Marmion by Isabel|
|i||Elizabeth de Bermingham
m Thomas de la Roche of Castle Bromwich
|Be22. Ralph de Berners d 1297|
|m Christina de Windsor d before 1325, dau of Hugh de Windsor of West Horsley|
|Be21.||Edmund de Berners dvm by 1317|
|Be20.||John de Berners of West Horsley, Surrey d 1361
m c 1332 Elizabeth
|Be19||?? de Berners dvp|
|Be18.||Sir James de Berners of West Horsley a person of some influence in the government, but was accused of taking advantage of the youth of Richard II for his own purposes, and was beheaded 12 May 1388|
|m Anne d 1403 she m2 John Bryan|
|Be17||Richard Berners of West Horsley acceded on the death of his mother in 1403, d 1417|
|m Philippa Dalynridge probably niece not dau of Sir Edward Dalynridge, m2. Thomas Leukenore|
|Be16||Margery Berners d 18.12.1475 heiress|
|m1 John Fereby of West Horsley d 1441|
|m2 John Bourchier of West Horsley, 1st Lord Berners d 16.05.1474|
1 BE1883 Bonvile, TCP Bonville
2 BE1883 Bermingham, TCP Bermingham
3 VCH Surrey, vol 3, West Horsley
West Horsley MANOR
"The earliest mention of WEST HORSLEY occurs in the 9th century, when a certain Dux Alfred granted it to Werburg his wife. fn. 6 Bricsi held it in the time of Edward the Confessor, fn. 7 and at the time of the Survey it was in the possession of Walter son of Other, fn. 8 from whom the family of Windsor descended. fn. 9 Hugh de Windsor, grandson of Walter, fn. 10 held a knight's fee in West Horsley in 1166. Hamo de Wudecote in 1232 brought a suit against Hugh de Windsor, who seems to have been a younger son of the Hugh last mentioned, concerning services which Hugh claimed from him. fn. 11 Some ten years later Hugh de Windsor bought the right of common pasture in eighty acres of land in West Horsley. fn. 12 In 1271 Hugh son of Hugh de Windsor granted the manor to Ralph de Berners and Christina de Windsor, his wife, in return for an annual rent of £10 during the life of Hugh. fn. 13 This Christina was probably the daughter of Hugh de Windsor; most of the old historians agree in asserting that the manor passed to the Berners family by reason of the succession of heirs female. fn. 14 The manor still continued to be held of the main line of the Windsor family. fn. 15 In 1297 Ralph de Berners died, leaving a son and heir Edmund, fn. 16 who was reported to be in Normandy at the time of his father's death, although it was uncertain whether he were alive or dead. fn. 17 Christina wife of Ralph survived both her husband and her son, and in 1317 was party in a fine with Richard de Berners touching lands held by him in West Horsley and elsewhere. fn. 18 In 1325 another fine was levied: Christina had died in the meanwhile, and the manor had passed to her grandson John son of Edmund. fn. 19 A final conveyance of these lands was not made until some ten years later, when Thomas son of Richard released all his right to John. fn. 20 In 1332 John settled the manor on himself and his wife Elizabeth, probably on the occasion of their marriage. fn. 21 He died in 1361, and the manor passed to his grandson James, who was then a minor. fn. 22 James de Berners grew up to be a person of some influence in the government, but was accused of taking advantage of the youth of Richard II for his own purposes, and was beheaded in 1388. fn. 23 His lands were forfeited to the Crown, but his widow Anne secured West Horsley by a special grant from the king. fn. 24 Henry IV confirmed this grant, while deprecating the fact that his predecessor had alienated the manor without the consent of Parliament. fn. 25 Anne de Berners married a second husband, John Bryan, who seems to have held the manor jointly fn. 26 with her until her death fn. 27 in 1403, when her son Richard de Berners came into possession. Bryan released his right in the manor to Richard in 1406. fn. 28 Three years later Richard enfeoffed trustees of his estate to the use of himself and his wife Philippa, with remainder to their heirs. fn. 29 He died in 1417. fn. 30 Philippa married a second husband, fn. 31 Thomas Leukenore, fn. 32 but did not live long afterwards, and at her death Margery daughter of Richard de Berners was found to be her heir. Margery while still a child was married to John Fereby, fn. 33 who held his first court at West Horsley in 1420. fn. 34 He died in 1441, fn. 35 and she then became the wife of Sir John Bourchier. In 1442 certain trustees released the manor to Sir John Bourchier, called Berners, summoned to Parliament in 1455 as Baron Berners, and to Margery his wife, which was probably a form of marriage settlement. fn. 36 By her second husband Margery had issue Humphrey, who, however, died before his mother, being killed at Barnet in 1471, so that at her death in 1475 the manor passed to her grandson John Bourchier, Baron Berners, then a child of eight. fn. 37 John, known as the translator of Froissart, was also a distinguished soldier and courtier in the expensive court of Henry VIII, and in 1518 he mortgaged the manor to Thomas Unton fn. 38 and others. He died in 1522.
'Parishes: West Horsley', A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 3 1911,
pp. 353-357. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42983
Date accessed: 23 May 2009.
West Horsley Place see below has literary interests connected with it. It was the seat of John Lord Berners, who made the first English translation of Froissart's Chronicle in the reign of Henry VIII. It was shortly afterwards the house of the Earl of Lincoln, whose wife, in whose right he held it, was the widow of Sir Anthony Browne, and was by birth Lady Elizabeth Fitzgerald, daughter of the Earl of Kildare, celebrated by Surrey the poet as the 'Fair Geraldine.' She resided at West Horsley after her husband's death, and corresponded in very unpoetic style with Sir William More at Loseley, where several of her letters are preserved, including an invitation to Sir William to come to her house during the crisis of the Spanish invasion of 1588, dated 30 July, and expressing the consternation in the court at the news that the Spaniards were over against Dover in Calais Roads. Carew Raleigh, son of Sir Walter, was a later owner, and he sold it to Sir Edward Nicholas, Secretary of State to Charles I, who died in 1669. Sir Edward's son, Sir John, was Clerk to the Privy Council and died in 1704. His son Edward, who died in 1726, was Treasurer to Queen Mary. Their correspondence was preserved at West Horsley, and a schedule of the papers was drawn up by Edward Nicholas in 1720. fn. 2 A considerable part of the collection was purchased for the British Museum in 1879, and now forms part of the Egerton MSS. 2533–2562. But it is unfortunately only a part of what once existed. The whole collection seems to have passed into the possession of Sir John Evelyn of Wotton, after the death of William Nicholas in 1749. Dr. Thomas Birch made transcripts and a catalogue of the papers in 1750–1, describing them as in the possession of Sir John Evelyn. Some of them are still at Wotton, and were printed by Bray at the end of his edition of John Evelyn's Diary and Correspondence, 1818. The rest are supposed to have been returned to West Horsley, whence they passed to the Museum in 1879, but a great many papers referred to by Birch, whose transcripts are in the British Museum, fn. 3 are now lost. The missing part included a History of the Long Parliament, covering 285 pages in Sir Edward Nicholas's own hand. Only fragments of this and of three letterbooks, from 1648 to 1658, survive.
Extracts from the papers have been edited for the Camden Society and the Royal Historical Society in 1886, 1892, 1897, and a fourth volume is in the press. Inferior to the Loseley MSS. in local interest, they are by far the most valuable general historical collection preserved in any Surrey house.
There is a valuable collection of historical portraits at West Horsley of the Nicholas family and 17thcentury persons of note, Raleigh, Weston Earl of Portland, Clarendon, Hobbes, Compton Bishop of London, Ben Jonson, Anne of Denmark, Nell Gwynn, and others.
Woodcote Lodge in this parish is the residence of the Rt. Hon. Sir Henry Roscoe. The Rectory house was built by the Rev. C. H. S. Weston in 1819, a mile away from the church, near Horsley Green.
In West Horsley were 362 acres of common fields and 16 acres of common meadow. The Inclosure Act was in 1802. fn. 4 By it 79 acres of common arable and 88 acres of waste on Netley Heath were appropriated as a glebe. Five acres and a half are assigned for the repairs of the church.
There is a Wesleyan chapel in this parish.
Broomhouse on the Epsom road is the property of Lord Rendel, and is used as a convalescent home for Poor Law children.
In 1786 fn. 5 a house and orchard were recorded as left for a school by an unknown donor. In 1813 Mr. Weston Fullerton built and endowed a school. The Rev. C. H. S. Weston further endowed a school with £760 in 1845. The present school National was built in 1861. Mr. Weston's endowment is paid to this, and it seems that Mr. Fullerton's school had been previously amalgamated with Mr. Weston's."
From: 'Parishes: West Horsley', A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 3 1911, pp. 353-357. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42983 Date accessed: 23 May 2009.
return to top