Wi16 Miles de Windsor, Lord Stanwell, was the son of Richard de Windsor, Lord Stanwell (Wi17), Constable of Windsor Castle and Christian Faulkner (Fa17)
|Born: about 1410 in Stanwell, Middlesex, England
Married: Joan Greene (Gr16)
Died: 30 Sept. 1451 at St. Bartholomew in Ferrera Italy ??Colnbrook, Bucks
A vision of Stanwell
Highlighted gazetteer entry
"STANWELL, a village and a parish in Staines district, Middlesex. The village stands 2¼ miles NE of Staines r. station, and has a post-office under Staines. The parish contains also Staines workhouse, Poyle hamlet, and part of Colnbrook. Acres, 3,963. Real property, £11,012. Pop., 1,714. Houses, 314. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged, from the Norman conquest till 1541, to the Windsors; went then, by an exchange, to the Crown; was the death-place of the Princess Mary, daughter of James I.; passed to the Knyvets and the Falklands; and, with S. Place, belongs now to Sir J. Gibbons, Bart. There are paper mills, and two large flour mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £300.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is later English and good. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school with £40 a year, a national school for girls, and charities £220. Judge Nares was a native; and Ryves, the author of "Mercurins Rusticus,'' was vicar."
These other entries in our collection of descriptive gazetteers are also about Stanwell. You may be able to find further references to Stanwell in the descriptive gazetteers by doing a full-text search here.
Miles went on a Pilgrimage to the Holy Land and died on the way, 30 September, 1451 & was buried at Ferrars in Italy, in the monastery of St. Bartholomew there, before the choir door, under a white marble stone.
|Miles, Lord Stanwell, and Joan Green had issue:
(Wi15) Thomas de Windsor, Lord Stanwell
|Most of the ancient areas of settlement in Stanwell lie off the main
roads. Stanwell itself is first mentioned in 1086. (fn. 17) The village
centres upon the small green, with the church, which may have been first
built about 1200, (fn. 18) on the south. Stanwell Place, which has been
the site of the manor-house since the 17th century at least, lies about
half a mile to the west. (fn. 19) Borough Field and Borough Green, to the
north and east of the manor-house, may have derived their names from it.
In 1796 a number of the cottages and farm-houses of the parish were timberframed
and plastered and some had thatched roofs, (fn. 20) but by 1956 the buildings
surviving from before the 19th century were mostly of red brick, with red-tile
roofs; some were of timber construction with later facings of brick or
From: 'Stanwell: Introduction', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962), pp. 33-36. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22238. Date accessed: 28 June 2008.