Wi15 Baron Andrew de Windsor was the son of Thomas Lord Stanwell (Wi16), Warden of Windsor Castle and Elizabeth Andrews(An16)
|Born: 1 May 1467, Stanwell Manor, Stanwell, Middlesex, England
Married: Elizabeth Blount (Bl15), sister and co-heir of Edward, Lord Mountjoy, and daughter of William Blount
Died: 30 Mar 1543
Notes: of Stanwell, co. Middlesex and Boardsley Abbey, Worcestershire. Knight of the Bath upon the coronation of Henry VIII; Member of Parliament; Knight Banneret for valor at the Battle of Spurs in 1513. He was summoned to Parliament in 1529 as Baron Windsor of Bradenham, Buckinghamshire. In Jun 1520, he attended King Henry VIII during the summit with Francois I held between Guisnes and Ardres, known as "Field of the Cloth of Gold". In his will, dated 26 Mar 1543, he lists: His entire well beloved late wife, Elizabeth lady Wyndsore, His late son George Windsor, His loving father, Thomas Wyndesore, Sir William Windsor his son and heir apparent, His son Edmund, His son Thomas, His daughter dame Elizabeth wife of Peter Vavasour, His daughter Anne wife of Roger Corbet, His daughter Edith wife of George Ludlow, His sister Margaret Windsor late prioress of Syon, His brother Sir Anthony Windsor, Edith daughter of said Sir Anthony, His loving mother dame Elizabeth Litton, Agnes Windsor, daughter of his son Thomas, Ursula Windsor, daughter of his son Thomas, Peter Windsor (probably) son of his son Thomas, Miles Windsor (probably) son of his son Thomas, Andrew Windsor (probably) son of his son Thomas.
|(Wi14) Edith Windsor b: 1514 married George Ludlow|
Data from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Windsor,_1st_Baron_Windsor:
Sir Andrew Windsor, 1st Baron Windsor (1467-1543) was an English nobleman. He inherited the manor of Stanwell near Windsor. In 1542, during a visit by King Henry VIII, he was obliged to surrender the manor to the crown. In return he was offered the lands of Tardebigge and the seat of Hewell Grange in modern Worcestershire. His son William (1542-1558) succeeded him as the 2nd Baron.
Stanwell was mentioned as a hamlet in the Domesday Book of AD 1086, Stanwell is named after St Anne's Well. In 1603, Lord Knyvett was granted the manor of Stanwell. Lord Knyvett was the man who arrested Guy Fawkes in his attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament. Stanwell's 14th century St Mary's church contains monuments to Lord and Lady Knyvett. In 1838, an unknown species of rose was found in a local garden and given the name of Stanwell Perpetual.
A village in Worcestershire, England, Tardebigge was once a much greater township including much of modern Redditch. The village is most famous for the Tardebigge locks, a flight of 30 canal locks that raise the Birmingham and Worcester Canal over 220 feet (67 metres) over the Lickey Ridge. It lies in the traditional county of Warwickshire.
Records of the parish, recorded twice in a will as Anglo-Saxon æt Tærdebicgan, begin in the late 10th Century. Tardebigge was bought by the Dean of Worcester for his Church from King Ethelred the Unready. In the later Dark Ages there were battles fought between Ethelred's son Ironside and the Cnut the Dane.
The name Tærdebicga (whose dative case is Tærdebicgan) does not appear to have any likely meaning in Anglo-Saxon or Celtic or any other likely known language, and may be a stray survival from whatever aboriginal (perhaps non-Indo-European) language was spoken in England before the Celts came.
In the 12th century, the parish was granted to Bordesley Abbey, a catholic monastery. For three hundred years the area remained in the Church's possession. In 1538 the Catholic Church was disestablished by King Henry VIII, and the area became the possession of the Crown.
In a personal deal, Bordesley Abbey passed to Andrew Lord Windsor, and
therefore to the stewardship of the Earl of Plymouth, who took a seat Hewell
Grange (now a prison) adjacent to modern Tardebigge. The land was gradually
managed and sold off by the Earl; it was not until the mid 19th Century
that the parish of Tardebigge began to dissolve and the modern boundaries
began to appear.
Hewell Grange is a country house in Tardebigge, Worcestershire, England.
It is a Grade II listed building; the listing includes some of the gardens.
The land was originally owned by the Bishop of Bordesley, who lived at nearby Bordesely Abbey. When King Henry VIII abolished catholicism in England, he took control of the land and gave it to Thomas Windsor Hickman.
Thomas had drawn attention to himself by showing uncommon valour fighting the French. At the age of 15 he commanded a troop of horsemen, impressing Henry. Hewell Grange was no gift however: Henry had visited Thomas' own manor at Stanwell, Windsor and took a liking to the manor. He proposed to swap Stanwell for Hewell Grange and the surrounding lands. Thomas was reported to be unhappy with the deal, but had to accept.
An Etching of the Old Hall, circa 1730.
The ruin of the old hall, June 2005.The estate remained a seat of the
Windsor family (who were made Earls of Plymouth) until it was sold to the
state in the 20th century. There are several ruins dotted about the estate,
which suggest the Windsors have built a succession of grand houses over
the past 400 years. The current building was completed in 1894.