sunny Sarasotato rent by the week or month
e-mail, German, French and Spanish also spoken, airport pick-up in Tampa or Sarasota on request.
List of pedigrees
Bland of Northern Neck Va.
Nicholas of Roundway
Hester of Fleming Co Ky
Author's DNA match comparisons
It is really something to sing and dance about.
Dig up those old bones and get them dancing!
Find your roots!
Get DNA tested too!
Wi14 Baron Andrew de Windsor was the son of Thomas de Windsor, Lord Stanwell (Wi15), Warden of Windsor Castle and Elizabeth Andrews(An15)
|Born: 1 May 1467, Stanwell Manor, Stanwell, Middlesex,
Died: 30 Mar 1543
Notes: of Stanwell, co. Middlesex and Boardsley Abbey, Worcestershire. Knight of the Bath upon the coronation of Henry VIII; Member of Parliament; Knight Banneret for valor at the Battle of Spurs in 1513. He was summoned to Parliament in 1529 as Baron Windsor of Bradenham, Buckinghamshire. In Jun 1520, he attended King Henry VIII during the summit with Francois I held between Guisnes and Ardres, known as "Field of the Cloth of Gold". In his will, dated 26 Mar 1543, he lists: His entire well beloved late wife, Elizabeth lady Wyndsore, His late son George Windsor, His loving father, Thomas Wyndesore, Sir William Windsor his son and heir apparent, His son Edmund, His son Thomas, His daughter dame Elizabeth wife of Peter Vavasour, His daughter Anne wife of Roger Corbet, His daughter Edith wife of George Ludlow, His sister Margaret Windsor late prioress of Syon, His brother Sir Anthony Windsor, Edith daughter of said Sir Anthony, His loving mother dame Elizabeth Litton, Agnes Windsor, daughter of his son Thomas, Ursula Windsor, daughter of his son Thomas, Peter Windsor (probably) son of his son Thomas, Miles Windsor (probably) son of his son Thomas, Andrew Windsor (probably) son of his son Thomas.
Married: Elizabeth Blount (Bl14), sister and co-heir of Edward, Lord Mountjoy, and daughter of William Blount
|Sir Andrew Windsor, 1st Baron Windsor (1467-1543) was an English nobleman.
Among other properties, he inherited the manor of Stanwell near Windsor, a
convenient residence for the sometimes Wardens of Windsor Castle as his
ancestors had been since supervising its erection after the Conquest. In 1542,
during a visit
by King Henry VIII who was looking for a convenient residence to keep a mistress
- possibly the very cousin of the same name as Andrew's wife - he was obliged to
surrender the manor of Stanwell to the crown.
In return he was offered the lands of Tardebigge and the seat of Hewell
Grange in modern Worcestershire and the title of Baron de Windsor, which
had been lost with the seat in the Lords generations earlier when an ancestor
made both sons heir. Andrew had been "Lord of Stanwell" before this, but not Baron.
Andrew's son William (1542-1558) succeeded
him as the 2nd Baron.
Stanwell was mentioned as a hamlet in the Domesday Book of AD 1086, when Andrew's ancestor, Walter, was the ranger of Windsore Forest and construction of the castle was soon to begin. Stanwell is named after St Anne's Well.
In 1603, Lord Knyvett was granted the manor of Stanwell for arresting Guy Fawkes in the attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament.
Stanwell's 14th century St Mary's church contains monuments to Lord and Lady Knyvett. In 1838, an unknown species of rose was found in a local garden and given the name of Stanwell Perpetual.
During World War II, the Manor House of Stanwell was used as sometime Allied headquarters because of its nearness to Heathrow. After the war there was a fire that made the manor useless for dwelling purposes and it fell into disrepair. Near the end of the 20th century it was purchased by the British affiliate of Ready-Mix Concrete, who soon demolished the main building and used the land as a gravel quarry, where the Thames had been depositing gravel for several millenia, until they were stopped by an injunction. Today only the Gate and the Gatehouse remain. Whatever artifacts were left on these grounds by the 50 odd generations of Saxon and de Windsor lords of this once spledid manor are now forever lost to history and many now likely part of the concrete that went into building Heathrow and other buildings in the area.
Approaching Bradenham on the track from Small Dean Lane.
Anrew's grandson and 3rd Baron Windsor, Edward, entertained Queen Elizabeth I in great splendour at Bradenham in 1566, on her return from visiting the University of Oxford. A contemporary report records the Queen staying overnight at Great Hampden, progressing next day to Bradenham.
The route from Great Hampden brought the party through Flowers Bottom, emerging onto the ridge top at Walter's Ash. Records suggest the present Bradenham Woods Lane did not exist and the Queen's party descended down through a glade in the woodlands to reach the Manor.
This glade is still preserved. On the following day, Her Majesty set out from Bradenham "with a large party of gentlemen, because of the thieves which infested these woods." The party passed "through some of the loveliest bits of primeval forest at Walter's Ash, down Downley Common, through Tinkers Wood" to High Wycombe.
On Edward's death in 1574, Bradenham passed to his eldest son, Frederick. Edward Windsor left instructions for Frederick to build and endow almshouses, for a master and six poor men of the Parish. Strangely this bequest was never executed.
|The present building, of red brick, tall sash windows,
steep tiled roofs with small dormer windows and a row of slender brick
chimneys, dates from the mid seventeenth century. This house is thought
to include elements of an older, original building of 1540. The seventeenth
century rebuilding was probably undertaken by Sir Edmund Pye and his wife
Catherine, whose coat of arms appear inside the house.
Early in the sixteenth century Bradenham was acquired by Andrew Windsor, the son of Thomas Windsor of Stanwell. Andrew was created Lord Windsor in 1529, but died in 1543, being succeeded by his son William, the second Lord Windsor. William built the original manor house, where he resided, also adding a chapel to the Parish Church. He died in 1558 and was buried "very splendidly according to his quality" at Bradenham. Under the terms of his Will the house passed to his son Edward.
|The Manor remained in the Windsor family until 1642, when it was acquired
by Sir Edmund Pye. It was Sir Edmund who probably commissioned the major
refurbishment of the house. For well over a century the property continued
in the Pye family, until it was finally sold in 1787 to John Hicks of Plomer's
Hill, Bath. On the death of John Hicks in 1825, the ownership was contested
and remained for a long time in Chancery. Whilst the estate was in Chancery
the Manor was leased to various tenants.
One of the better known of these tenants was Isaac Disraeli, the Father of Benjamin Disraeli. Isaac, the author of a number of notable works including "Curiosities of Literature", came to Bradenham in 1829. He is said to have enlarged and modernized the house.
|Data from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Windsor,_1st_Baron_Windsor:|
A village in Worcestershire, England, Tardebigge was once a much greater township including much of modern Redditch. The village is most famous for the Tardebigge locks, a flight of 30 canal locks that raise the Birmingham and Worcester Canal over 220 feet (67 metres) over the Lickey Ridge. It lies in the traditional county of Warwickshire.
Records of the parish, recorded twice in a will as Anglo-Saxon æt Tærdebicgan, begin in the late 10th Century. Tardebigge was bought by the Dean of Worcester for his Church from King Ethelred the Unready. In the later Dark Ages there were battles fought between Ethelred's son Ironside and the Cnut the Dane.
The name Tærdebicga (whose dative case is Tærdebicgan) does not appear to have any likely meaning in Anglo-Saxon or Celtic or any other likely known language, and may be a stray survival from whatever aboriginal (perhaps non-Indo-European) language was spoken in England before the Celts came.
In the 12th century, the parish was granted to Bordesley Abbey, a catholic monastery. For three hundred years the area remained in the Church's possession. In 1538 the Catholic Church was disestablished by King Henry VIII, and the area became the possession of the Crown.
In a personal deal, Bordesley Abbey passed to Andrew Lord Windsor, and
therefore to the stewardship of the Earl of Plymouth, who took a seat Hewell
Grange (now a prison) adjacent to modern Tardebigge. The land was gradually
managed and sold off by the Earl; it was not until the mid 19th Century
that the parish of Tardebigge began to dissolve and the modern boundaries
began to appear.
It is a Grade II listed building; the listing includes some of the gardens.
Thomas had drawn attention to himself by showing uncommon valour fighting the French. At the age of 15 he commanded a troop of horsemen, impressing Henry. Hewell Grange was no gift however: Henry had visited Thomas' own manor at Stanwell, Windsor and took a liking to the manor. He proposed to swap Stanwell for Hewell Grange and the surrounding lands. Thomas was reported to be unhappy with the deal, but had to accept.
|The estate remained a seat of the Windsor family (who were made Earls of Plymouth) until it was sold to the state in the 20th century. There are several ruins dotted about the estate, which suggest the Windsors have built a succession of grand houses over the past 400 years. The current building was completed in 1894.|