sunny Sarasotato rent by the week or month
e-mail, German, French and Spanish also spoken, airport pick-up in Tampa or Sarasota on request.
List of pedigrees
Bland of Northern Neck Va.
Nicholas of Roundway
Hester of Fleming Co Ky
Author's DNA match comparisons
It is really something to sing and dance about.
Dig up those old bones and get them dancing!
Find your roots!
Get DNA tested too!
Married: Margaret Rymer, b. c. 1410 dau. and heiress of William Rymer and ? Warnell (Warmwell) daughter of William Warmwell and Johanna.
Died: 23 Dec. 1478 aged 81
It appears from a MS. formerly preserved at Great Chalfield, that William Ludlow, Lord of Hill Deverill, Boteler to King Henry IV. and King Henry V. and VI., M.P. for Ludgershall, bore these Arms - Argent, a chevron between three marten’s heads erased, sable, and that he was buried in St. Thomas's Church in Salisbury, under a marble tomb, on the north side of the high altar; the south side of an aisle he new ceiled and painted, and set with escutcheons of his own arms and those of his wife. William Ludlow married Margaret, daughter and heiress of William Rymer, and by her had a son, John, and four daughters, the youngest of whom, named Margaret, married Thomas Trapnel, or Tropenell, the projector of Great Chalfield Manor-house, and whose noble altar-tomb, described by Aubrey, is still in the Tropenell Chapel in Cersham Church. This tomb, with details, is engraved in Walker’s.”History of Chalfield."
The Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary at Hill Deverill was
closed as redundant in 1984. It is situated on the main road and the view
through the lytch-gate is quite evocative. Since the old church is now
a private house, it's not possible to tramp around the place, but there's
a view of the building from the next side-road to the south.
The altar tomb at Kingston Deverill was moved from the Church of the
Assumption when it was closed. It is emblazoned with three medieval shields
which display the honours of the three families created by the marriages
of William Ludstrow with Margaret Rymer, Jack Ludlow with Philippa Bulstrode,
and his great great grandson William Ludlow with Jane Moore. From these
origins was descended Lieutenant General Edmund Ludlow, a Cromwellian soldier,
who was one of the signatories to the death warrant of King Charles I.
( Lu16-2) Margaret Ludlow - (? Thomas Tropenell*, son of Harry Tropenell and Edith Roche) bur. at Corsam Church.
(Lu16-3) Joan Ludlow - m. 1st John Norwood.
(Lu16-4). Mary Ludlow, m William Sandes (Sonders)
(Lu16-5) Margery Ludlow - m. William Earle
(Lu16-6). Johanna Ludlow, m Robert Dynelly.
* Thomas Trapnel was the builder of Great Chalfield Manor.
|Great Chalfield Manor was rebuilt between 1465 - 85 on the site of
an earlier fortified house.
The builder was Thomas Tropnell a wealthy Wiltshire landowner and businessman. He made his fortune in the Wars of the Roses when the new middle class became prosperous after the collapse of the old feudal nobility.
It was a period when no one could feel secure and the domestic yellow-stone building was constructed around a central courtyard and approached through a defensible gatehouse. The property formed a neat complex with the manor house, farm buildings and parish church encircled by a curtain wall and surrounded by a narrow moat.
No trace of the defensive walls and bastions of the older house remain but the moat still has to be crossed to reach the outer courtyard. From here an archway leads into the forecourt and the house.
The architectural composition of the house was exceptionally balanced for the 15th century. The conventional medieval great hall, two storeys high and lit from both sides, is flanked by two gabled wings with elaborate oriel windows. The exterior is remarkable for the fine detail of the stone mullioned windows, gables, arches and buttresses. The gable ends have intricately carved stone figures of griffins and soldiers in 15th century armour which give the house a light-hearted appearance.
Although modest in scale, the building is perfectly proportioned and the yellow-grey Corsham stone greatly adds to its charm.
The north, or main, front is much as Tropnell left it in 1480. The south front was carefully restored and the south wing added in about 1910. The west wing was originally a farm building and facing it across the courtyard is the tiny 14th or 15th century church. The south chapel of the church was rebuilt by Tropnell and he added the little projecting bellcote with a crocketed octagonal spire.
The interior plan of the house follows a late medieval pattern. The porch leads directly into the finely-timbered great hall which is screened at one end from the pantry and kitchen beyond and the bed-chamber that lies above it. A rare feature for this period is the separate dining room beyond the screens between the hall and the kitchens. This room contains a mural portrait of Tropnell. At the other end of the great hall a spiral staircase leads to the solar. Here unusual squints in the form of hollow masks enabled the ladies to look down on the proceedings in the hall.
Great Chalfield Manor has a well documented history.
The estate was recorded in the Domesday Book as the property of Ernulf de Hesding, Comte de Perche. The property was owned by various branches of the Percy family until the 16th century. In the Civil War Chalfield was garrisoned by Parliamentary troops between 1644 - 46 and withstood a short siege. The 1st Duke of Kington acquired the estate when he married an heiress but it was sold by his son in 1770. The property then remained in the hands of the Neale family until 1878 when it was acquired by the Fuller family.
The appearance of Great Chalfield Manor today reflects the restoration carried out between 1905 - 12 for Major R. Fuller by Sir Harold Brakspear. This followed two centuries of neglect when the east wing was demolished and the south wing also disappeared. To create his sympathetic reconstruction Sir Harold worked from drawings made by Pugin's pupil Thomas Larken Walker in 1836 when the building was still in its original state. At the same time the gardens were restored by the Fuller family.
In 1947 Great Chalfield Manor was presented to the National Trust but members of the Fuller family still live in the house and manage the property.
After the restoration Great Chalfield Manor took on a new lease of life. Set close to the river Avon in placid open countryside, the house is once again at the centre of a agricultural estate with home farms, labourer's cottages, woodland and its own parish church.
The land is worked today as it has been for over 900 years and boundaries
and field names are still as they were shown on a map of 1794.
Robin Ludlow's Research
Humphrey Le Heyr, of Bromham, Wilts, he was a Crusader, and accompanied Richard I. to the Holy Land. He married Gallicia, and her name appears in an undated deed, probably in the reign of Henry 3rd, granting to her son, Nicholas, some land. To this deed Richard of Bridwilston, Roger Le Blount, and William Le Blount were witnesses.
Humphrey Le Heyr had by his wife two sons.
Galfridus Le Heyr, of Bromham, who was alive in the 3rd year of Edward
Nicholas Le Heyr.
Galfridus granted to his brother, Nicholas, certain possessions to which were attached conditions of homage and service.
Galfridus Le Heyr had a son, Galfridus Le Heyr, of Bromham, who was living in the 15th year of Edward II.
He left issue.
The eldest line of the family from Stephen Eyre continued to live at Bromham, and are recorded in the visitation of 1623, but they appear to have gone down in wealth and position, and are now supposed to be extinct.
Simon Eyre married Eleanor, the dr. and heiress of John Crooke, of Urchfont, in the County of Wilts, and according to the visitations he had his seat at Wedhampton, in the Parish of Urchfont.
He recovered seisen of his lands in Urchfont by the name of John Le Eyr, in the reign of Edward II.
He left issue one son.
Simon Eyre, of Wedhampton, who is mentioned in the list of adherents
in Wilts to King Henry VI. in the Wars of the Roses, he left a son, Thomas
Eyre, of Wedhampton and Northcombe, who had issue, William Eyre, of Wedhampton
and Northcombe, who married Julia or Juliana Cockerell, and had two sons.
William Eyre, who was elected Prior of the Canons of St. Augustine, Christchurch, Hants, in 1502. He died in 1520, and was buried behind the high altar of the Priory Church, under a flat stone (which is still legible), with the following inscription:
"Tumba Domini Wilhelmi Eyre. Vicessimi Quinte Prioris Rujns Ecclesiæ
qui obiit tertio die decembris anno domini Milessimo CCCCC et XX, Hujus
anime propitietur Dens. Amen"
By his side also was buried his mother, the inscription on her tomb
being the following :—
"Hic Jacet Joana Cockrell. Mater Wilhelmi Eyre. Prioris Hujus Ecclesiæ,
Cujus Anime propitietur Deus. Amen."
John Eyre, of Wedhampton, who married twice.
Margaret, dr. of John Bitton, of Alton, Wilts, a descendant from Sir Walter de Bitton, Knt., who lived in the 12th year of Henry II., from which marriage descend the Eyres of Chalfield, now extinct in the male line.
By his second wife Jane, dr. of John Cusse, of Broughton Gifford, Wilts,
John Eyre, of Wedhampton, had issue.
Robert Eyre m. Jane widow of George Tourney.
Christopher Eyre m. Jane Ryves.
William Eyre m. Anne Chaffin.
John Eyre m. Sybil Chaffin.