Ba21 Sir Gilbert de Barton
Ba21 Sir Gilbert de Barton
|Born: 1240 in Barton, Lancashire, England.
Married: Agnes (1250 in Barton, Lancashire, England - ) on 1271
in Barton, Lancashire, England..
Died: 1278 in Barton, Lancashire, England.
|. They had the following children:
F i Amery de BARTON was born 1272 and died 1294/1295.
F ii Alice de BARTON 1 was born 1275 in Barton, Lancashire,
F iii Agnes de BARTON was born 1277. Married John
Bartun, Dom. Bk.; Barton, 1212 and usually; Berton, 1226.
The surface is for the most part level or slightly undulating, but
rises a little more sharply in the north-east corner, a height of about
230 ft. being attained. Barton Brook, formed by Westfield Brook and Sparling
Brook from east and north-east respectively, runs diagonally across the
area from northeast to south-west, the Old Hall being to the north of it
and a water corn-mill upon it; Barton Lodge and Tunsteads lie to the south
of it. The township contains 2,707½ acres and had a population of
315 in 1901. (fn. 1) The hamlet of Newsham in Goosnargh was included in
the township of Barton in 1894. (fn. 2)
The principal road is that from Preston to Lancaster, running along
the western boundary; upon it, near the centre, is the church. The London
and North-Westem Company's main line to the north crosses the north-west
The land is chiefly meadow and pasture; the soil is clayey.
A parish council administers the affairs of the township.
There are remains of ancient crosses near the eastern border. (fn.
In 1066 the manor of BARTON, assessed as four plough-lands, was a member
of the lordship of Preston held by Earl Tostig. (fn. 4) It was no doubt
larger than the present township, which in 1212 is found assessed as only
two plough-lands, being then part of ten held of the king in thegnage by
Walter son of Osbert, ancestor of the Cliftons
of Westby, by the service of £2 annually. (fn. 5)
The Cliftons and their heirs retained the mesne lordship of Barton,
(fn. 6) which in 1212. was held immediately by the heirs of Gilbert dt
Baiton. (fn. 7) Of this family very little is known (fn. 8) ; their rent
was 8s., being the proportion due for two plough-lands. A mortgage or settlement
of the manor of Barton, with lands in Goosnargh, was made by John de Barton
in 1323, (fn. 9) and another settlement by a later John de Barton and Denise
his wife in 1381. (fn. 10)
Gilbert Barton was in 1496 an outlaw for trespass, (fn. 11) and was
succeeded by another Gilbert, who died in 1516, leaving a son and heir
Thomas, only four years old. (fn. 12) The manor was held of Sir William
Molyneux and Elizabeth his wife, in her right, by a rent of 8s. She was
the daughter and heir of Cuthbert Clifton.
Thomas Barton died in 1554 holding the manor by a like tenure, the
mesne lord being Henry Halsall in right of Anne his wife. (fn. 13) Richard
Barton, the son and heir, then twenty-two years of age, recorded a pedigree
in 1567, (fn. 14) and died in 1572, leaving as heir a son Thomas, aged
sixteen. (fn. 15) This son lived till 1603, and his son Richard having
died in 1600, Thomas's heir was Richard's daughter Fleetwood, born in 1595.
The manor was held of Sir Cuthbert Halsall in socage by a rent of 8s. (fn.
Barton of Barton. Argent three boars' heads couped sable armed or.
When four years old Fleetwood Barton was married to Richard son and
heir of Sir Richard Molyneux (fn. 17) ; but this union was afterwards annulled,
and she then married Richard Shuttleworth of Gawthorpe in Habergham Eaves
near Burnley. (fn. 18) Barton descended like Gawthorpe till the death of
Robert Shuttleworth in 1816, when—he having divided his estates—Barton
was inherited by the elder son James, the younger, Robert, having Gawthorpe.
James Shuttleworth in 1833 sold the manor to George Jacson of Preston,
a member of the firm of Horrocks, Jacson &c., Co., whose son Charles
Roger Jacson succeeded to it. (fn. 19) Having no issue he directed the
manor and lands to be sold at his death, which took place on 3 October
1893, for the benefit of his nephews and nieces. Portions have been sold,
but the lordship of the manor is said to be vested in his trustees. Barton
Lodge is the manor-house. (fn. 20)
The Charnley family held an estate in Barton in 1415. (fn. 21) A few
other families holding land are known through the inquisitions. (fn. 22)
Richard Shuttleworth of Barton being a zealous Parliamentarian and
Presbyterian, the township seems to have escaped the attention of the Commonwealth
authorities; but William Cardwell, tanner, and some others registered estates
as 'Papists' in 1717. (fn. 23)
There was probably a chapel at the hall from an early time, but there
are no records of it. (fn. 24) In 1650 St. Lawrence's chapel had neither
minister nor maintenance. (fn. 25) In 1723 Richard Shuttleworth, retaining
the right of presentation, made it a semi-public chapel and gave some endowment,
a grant from Queen Anne's Bounty being apparently obtained. (fn. 26) It
was made parochial in 1850, and was pulled down and rebuilt in 1896. (fn.
27) The patronage is vested in the Bishop of Manchester and the representatives
of the late Col. Marton alternately. (fn. 28) The following have been incumbents:—
From: 'Townships: Barton', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume
7 (1912), pp. 127-128.
return to index Send author an
misuse for spam is strictly forbidden!